ARRANGEMENT FOR THE ADMISSION OF CHILDREN WITH DISABILITIES
At Maiden Erlegh School, the admission of children with disabilities is considered in the first instance in the same way as non-disabled children. Further considerations are made in the light of need and accessibility and the school would work with parents/carers and other agencies involved to ensure that appropriate provision could be provided. It is the school policy to accommodate children with disabilities should parents wish and individual needs are planned for to prevent any children with disabilities being treated less favourably than other children. Staff organise human and physical resources within the school to increase access to learning and participation by all children.
Education does not only happen during lessons and during the school day. Our teaching staff strive to provide a range of extra-curricular activities which are open to all students.
Subject to risk assessment, we ensure that all our students but particularly those with SEND are included in the activities available, accepting that sometimes this will mean additional arrangements to allow them to take part in activities. For example, sometimes one-to-one support on trips may be provided, depending on the level of need.
Where specific access arrangements need to be made, we involve parents/carers by:
- discussing support and risk control measures with parents/carers;
- taking advice from the place to be visited in terms of their facilities and accessibility.
Existing facilities provided to assist access to the school by children with disabilities:
- Wheelchair access onto school grounds via all entrances on ground floor.
- Front car park has disabled parking bay and dropped kerb.
- Most classrooms are carpeted to aid hearing impaired children’s learning.
- Exterior lighting to improve evening access.
- Routes to the main entrance are clearly signed and free from obstructions
- Disabled toilets are regularly situated throughout school and on different levels.
Further details can be found in our Accessibility Plan which you can access HERE