Attendance and Registration
Research shows that there is a direct correlation between high levels of attendance and high levels of student attainment.
If you wish to report a student absence this can be done by emailing: email@example.com. The email should be sent from the email address that we have registered for the parent on our Management Information System. Alternatively, parents can contact the school by telephone 0118 926 2467 and follow the instructions for reporting a student absence.
Parents are requested to notify the school before 9.00am each day their child is absent. Where a student does not register for a morning session and there is no explanation for that absence, the Attendance Officer will contact the parents to inform them of this.
Medical and dental appointments should not be made during the school day unless absolutely necessary, in which case an email or a signed letter from the parent is required. In addition, students must sign in and out at reception.
Students may only leave the school site with permission from their parent/guardian and the school. If a student needs to leave school during the day they should report to student services reception to sign out. In order to sign out they will need a note from their parent/guardian with the day, date and time they should be leaving and a brief explanation of the reason for doing so. If a student does not have a note then the school will make every effort to contact a parent/guardian but if it is unable to do so we are unable to allow the student to leave school.
As a Wokingham school, we follow the local authority guidance on the issuing of Fixed Penalty Notices, which is:
The issuing of a Penalty Notice will usually be considered appropriate in the following circumstances (these are cited as examples and are not meant to be exhaustive):
- Overt truancy (including pupils caught on truancy sweeps)
- Parentally-condoned absences
- Unauthorised holidays in term-time –5 days or more
- Excessive delayed return from authorised extended holidays without prior school agreement – i.e.2 days
- Persistent late arrival at school (after the Register has closed) - i.e. 10 occasions in a 10 school week period.
- Less than 80% attendance, the absences being unauthorised; during a 4 week period
- A pupil having been excluded from a Wokingham School, being found present in a public place, during school hours, without reasonable justification.
To request a leave of absence
We do not expect any parents to request permission for holidays for their children during the school term unless there are exceptional circumstances. Any requests should be submitted to the school at least 15 school days before the holiday dates, using this form. The final decision rests with the school.